Saturday 23 May 2020

Claire Desjardins Inspirations

As a continuation of our Studio Project, we checked in on Quebec artist Claire Desjardins to see what's been keeping her busy & inspired during her time in self isolation, including what she's been creating, cooking, and her view of the world. She replied along with some lovely shots of her studio, art & life.
What is your window on the world these days …are you in your studio, or social distancing at home?

I am fortunate: my husband, David, and I live on 30 acres out in the country, with our two dogs. We have left our property a couple of times since we returned from the States on March 22, as we were quarantined for the first 14 days, and then had to stock up on groceries (which we purchased online, but had to pick up in the store’s parking lot), shortly thereafter, as well as other essentials. My studio is on our property, just across our driveway, so I am able to go there daily, and to paint. I ordered a whole lot of new paints, to get me through this time, just in case. We walk our dogs on trails in our woods, and cook and eat, and watch Netflix. 
What is your favourite view out of your window …. morning or night?

I love when sunbeams pour through my studio windows and hit the floor: I love the long shadows. I enjoy gazing out at the forest, where I can see birds and squirrels, and the trees swaying in the breeze. Right now, I’m seeing snow falling, too— typical spring weather for the Laurentians!
What are you cooking/eating/baking …. loaded nachos? Chips? Cookies? …. or sourdough bread!

I share cooking with my husband. We take turns, and right now, he’s baking matzoh for tonight’s virtual Seder with his family. When it’s my turn, I find that I have been taking a bit more time, to make meals a bit more “fancy”, when possible. I want to make our time here special, and the creative touch helps. I’ve made pineapple shrimp, roasted vegetable, smoothies, steaks on the BBQ, quinoa salad (by David), and more. We are really trying to vary the menu as much as possible, so that it doesn’t fall into the “same old, same old” routine.
What are you drinking ….. lattes, tea….. a martini?

I’ve been enjoying my morning lattes, fresh fruit smoothies, and I sometimes have a glass of my favourite red wine with supper.

What are you creating ….. coffee drawings, sketch books, poems, sewing?

I’m painting up a storm in my studio, but despite having recently purchased lots of new paints, I’m still trying not to use up my supplies too quickly. I worry that I may not be able to access needed materials, later on. With that in mind, I’ve been working on creating short “how to” videos for my followers. I want to connect with them on Instagram, as much as possible, and I seem to be getting a nice response with those. 
What are you listening to ….. news? ugh….or jazz/pop?…. What's your go-to creative music?

Besides Netflix, we also make a point of watching our Prime Minister’s daily message. In my studio, I blast my favourite tunes, which include a variety of artists, many of whom are female vocalists such as Milck, Valery June, Lhasa de Sela, Angelina Jordan, Cat Power, Lorde,  and so many others. I also love Awolnation and Montreal-born legend, Leonard Cohen.
518-070 | Claire DesjardinsWith Love, acrylic on canvas, 36"x24". $1760
Thank you Claire for sharing your studio, story & beautiful works.

To view a full catalogue of available works by Claire Desjardins as well as our other artists, please visit www.canvasgallery.ca.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Work by Antony Ellis

  With his explosive and thought provoking photographs, we are excited to welcome 5 new  Antony Ellis  pieces to the gallery!   537-081 Anto...