Saturday 23 May 2020

Dana Cowie Inspirations

To expand upon our Artist Studio ProjectCanvas Gallery asked Owen Sound artist Dana Cowie a few questions to find out what's been keeping her creativity flowing over the past month of self-isolation, including what she's been making, cooking, drinking, reading, listening to and her view of the world. She shared her story along with some beautiful photos of her art & life.
What is your window on the world these days …are you in your studio, or social distancing at home?

I'm thankful to have my little studio in my house. I am able to paint once a week because I have 2 children who need a lot of attention/homeschooling. They are 5 and 9 years old. When I do get into the studio it feels like a reunion! Some days I'm finding less motivation than normal but my husband is helpful at giving me a nudge. Once I get set up, the inspiration flows!
438-068 | Dana Cowie, Choices, oil on canvas, 20"x48". $1050
What is your favourite view out of your window …. morning or night?

I like the view in the evening. The sunsets are so pretty through the trees.
What are you cooking/eating/baking …. loaded nachos? Chips? Cookies? …. or sourdough bread!

I'm definitely a free style cook and the main cook in the house. I make a lot of soups, rice bowls, crock pot meals and healthy treats using nut butters, maple syrup and chocolate chips...the first month of isolation I made things like maple fudge but I had to slow that down. I also have to make sure it's kid friendly. I let my kids cook too and it often results in a mess but it's an important skill!
What are you drinking ….. lattes, tea….. a martini?

I always have a large coffee with oat cream in the morning then I try to drink lots of water during the day (I find it helps decrease stress and makes you look and feel well!) - sometimes with lemon. I also enjoy stevia pop (rootbeer- zevia) to replace the treat cravings I often get. I do love a glass of wine in the evening while cooking if there's a bottle in the house. I especially like riesling. :) 
What are you creating ….. coffee drawings, sketch books, poems, sewing?

Other than painting small/medium pieces on the weekends I have been enjoying a 30 day drawing challenge put out by an art school in Scotland. It's called Bridge House Art. I highly recommend it. It's a massive stress reliever and keeps up my practice.
438-071 | Dana Cowie, Shine Upon You, oil on canvas, 12"x12". $300
 
What are you listening to ….. news? ugh….or jazz/pop?…. What's your go-to creative music?

I love music and listen to it lots. I have been listening to Maverick City Music, Bethel, Bach (esp. played by Glen Gould) and some of my old favorites like The Sundays and Cocteau Twins. I have eclectic tastes. I avoid the news for the most part and try to get the important bits of info. It's not worth the stress!
Thanks Dana for the update, beautiful photos & all of the gorgeous new work that you've done for us.

To view a full catalogue of available works by Dana Cowie, please visit www.canvasgallery.ca.


No comments:

Post a Comment

New Work by Antony Ellis

  With his explosive and thought provoking photographs, we are excited to welcome 5 new  Antony Ellis  pieces to the gallery!   537-081 Anto...