Thursday 28 May 2020

Susan Wallis Inspirations

To expand upon our Artist Studio ProjectCanvas Gallery asked Prince Edward County artist Susan Wallis a few questions to find out what's been keeping her creativity flowing over her time in self-isolation, including what she's been making, cooking, drinking, reading, listening to and her view of the world. She shared her story along with some beautiful photos of her studio & life.

I'm here in Cherry Valley, Prince Edward County isolating with the family and I am happy to say we are all doing well as I hope you all are too.

Here is a photo of what I am presently up to in the studio.  Easter inspired obviously.  I have a Polish background, so egg decorating was always a big thing in our home and still is.  So this year I thought I would try a different type of egg decorating.
What is your window on the world these days …are you in your studio, or social distancing at home?

Luckily my studio is in my home so I am able to go in there and work whenever I want or need to.
Working at home surrounded by family is wonderful. No, it really is. We count our blessings and work on keeping each other's spirits up.

We have many projects in the works so there is never a lack of things to do.  Seedlings on the windowsills, garden beds to be be tilled.  Plantings in the greenhouse and eggs in the incubator.

In this time of such uncertainty it is a good feeling to be surrounded by growth.
 

What is your favourite view out of your window …. morning or night?

I'd have to say the night and the moon.  Just prior to the COVID-19 outbreak I sent a new series called "Moon Watching" for a solo show that was suppose to open to the public in Western Canada on March 27th.  Sadly the opening never happened.  It was discouraging to produce a new series and not have anyone see it up in person. 

I am really happy with this new series.  Here are a few images from this show:
 
 
 
What are you cooking/eating/baking …. loaded nachos? Chips? Cookies? …. or sourdough bread!

There are 5 of us in the house and we all take turns cooking dinner each night.  We allow ourselves a maximum of 1 trip to the grocery shop each week, so we plan our meals.  I must say that were are lucky to all be good cooks, so the meals have been great and have a great variety to them especially since my daughter's boyfriend is a vegetarian.  P.S. At the beginning of this COVID -19 outbreak I was diagnosed with both high blood pressure and high cholesterol.   Those family genetics have finally caught up with me.  Not fun.  But I am taking this time of isolation to change my eating and exercise habits.  One has to balance looking out for our loved ones and our own self-care.

What are you drinking ….. lattes, tea….. a martini?

I love my lattes, but I have tried something new.  Instead of cow's milk, I know drink oat's milk.  It's really yummy and creamy and lowers the bad LDL blood cholesterol.

What are you creating ….. coffee drawings, sketch books, poems, sewing?

I have a few commissions in the works so I have been working on the those.  I want to continue with my moon series, but have taken a break to work on my Easter egg nests series.  Like most I have taken this time to do some organizing.   I started with my studio book library and have pulled out some books to read along with a few cookbooks.

  

What are you listening to ….. news? ugh….or jazz/pop?…. What's your go-to creative music?

I try and limit my news listening to the once a day update from our PM.  
In my studio, I have Alexa with me. Yesterday she found this great station in Barbados, which I listened to for the afternoon.  It transported me. I imagined blue skies, palm trees and sandy beaches.   It was fun to listen to the DJ and the local accents and the music had me bopping around my studio.  The news updates were also interesting detailing the issues this small Caribbean country was having with regards to COVID-19 with their population of about 285,000 people.  Barbados instituted a curfew on Saturday March 28th beginning at 8pm until 6 am nightly.  It just reminds me how we are 'all in this together'.

Thanks Susan for the thoughtful answers and beautiful imagery of your life & work.

To view available works by Susan Wallis, please visit www.canvasgallery.ca.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Work by Antony Ellis

  With his explosive and thought provoking photographs, we are excited to welcome 5 new  Antony Ellis  pieces to the gallery!   537-081 Anto...