Friday 19 June 2020

Cobie Cruz Inspirations

To expand upon our Artist Studio Project, we checked in on Toronto artist Cobie Cruz to see what's been keeping him busy & inspired during his time in self-isolation, including what he's been creating, cooking, drinking, listening to and his window view. He replied with some beautiful images & time lapse videos of his painting process.
What is your window on the world these days… are you in your studio, or social distancing at home?

I'm fortunate to have my studio at home. So painting for me means that I am following the guidelines for social distancing. Although things may have slowed down, I am taking advantage of this time to paint more! Painting helps me escape, even if only for a few hours at a time, the crazy times we live in. 



What is your favourite view out of your window… morning or night?

The best view out of my studio window is later in the day when the afternoon sunlight shines into the room. I love it when the rays land on my paintings and give it a three-dimensional touch. It’s definitely a visual treat to my eyes!



 3. What are you cooking/eating/baking... loaded nachos? Chips? Cookies?... or sourdough bread! 

Anything that can go on a grill from pork to fish and veggies! Occasionally even some fruit!
What are you drinking… lattes, tea… a martini?

Coffee and tea please! Over ice to cool off when it gets too warm. Add in beer and an occasional Caesar for good measure.

What are you creating… coffee drawings, sketchbooks, poems, sewing?

I just created a series of 14 pieces on a large canvas that I started in January and finished in May during the 2-month quarantine. I've switched to work on paper for a change which allows me to experiment with colours, composition and technique.   
 
What are you listening to…  news? Ugh… or jazz/pop? ... What's your go-to creative music?

During the first few weeks of the self-quarantine I was glued to the TV and radio listening to the latest news on the pandemic. It got depressing after a while so I went back listening to music. I love music from the 80's but with the help of my teenage daughter I keep up-to-date with the current hits. I listen to a variety of genres from pop, to classical and anything in between.

Thanks Cobie for the great answers, photos & awesome videos of your painting.

To view a full catalogue of available works by Cobie Cruz, please visit www.canvasgallery.ca.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Work by Antony Ellis

  With his explosive and thought provoking photographs, we are excited to welcome 5 new  Antony Ellis  pieces to the gallery!   537-081 Anto...