Sunday 7 June 2020

Antony Ellis Inspirations

As a continuation of our Artist Studio Project, we checked in on photographer Antony Ellis to see what's been keeping him busy & inspired during his time in self-isolation, including what he's been creating, cooking, drinking, listening to and his window view. He replied with some beautiful images he captured along with his story & view on current events in the world.

I started my winter break by going on what turned out to be a 42 day vacation to Cabarete Dominican Republic. A friend and film colleague of mine rented me one of his condominiums at a family price. I had actually turned down a couple of film jobs because it would have meant cutting my sunny vacation short. Little did I know that both of these jobs would eventually be cancelled due to the worldwide pandemic.

I took one of the last flights out of the Dominican, and faced the uncertainty of being in a plane full of people. Luckily for me I had bought a premium round trip ticket. I was seated with only one passenger beside me, right at the front of the plane, which meant first on, first off. When I arrived safely to my apartment I immediately began my 14 day quarantine. The isolation was no problem whatsoever (part of the perks of being a bachelor).

Living with the pandemic was one thing, but watching the killing of a fellow African North American was quite a different experience, even though the tragic events of police killing unarmed black people are a a regular occurrence. The murder of George Floyd shocked me in a way that I wasn’t prepared for. I found it difficult to sleep as my mind ran through a gauntlet of emotions which included sadness, rage, and depression.

My favourite view outside my window is the little park where several times a week my neighbour takes his son out to play, a child I’ve watched grow from month one to now a 3-year-old who is quite opinionated. It’s a refreshing distraction. The morning always signals a new beginning.

I love cooking. Everything from curried goat, oxtail, roast chicken, and soups. I’m currently trying to exercise some of those meals off....Its a work in progress.

When it comes to drinking? Well, I’ve definitely been drinking more alcohol than usual, although I no longer drink hard liquor. I have been indulging a lot in red wine and beer. Perhaps this weekend I’ll try making Sangria.

I am an avid viewer of the news, Al Jazeera, BBC, CNN, local news and yes even Fox. I find I need to hear the perspectives of different kinds of people. What makes them do the things they do. Say the things they say. I listen to all types of music. I grew up in a household when at its happiest Sundays were always reserved for music, and each family member would request or play anything they wanted. I also watch a ton of movies and tv series. I can be found binge watching guilt free into the wee hours of the morning. I also started taking online Spanish lessons.


With the recent tragic, and historic events taking place in this world of ours I managed to express some of my thoughts into words:

If you choose to oppress a people for simply wanting Justice and equality.
You have no moral ground on which to stand on.
Inevitably you will find yourself standing on quicksand.


All of these pictures above were taken during my physical isolation. The best thing about being a photographer is that you‘re usually alone when making your art. So I try to take at least one photograph a week.


Antony Ellis, King of No One, limited edition photography, 36"x53". $2600 framed *Available to order 


Thank you Antony, we appreciate your beautiful photography and sharing your view of the world & current events during these difficult times.

To view available works by Antony Ellis, please visit www.canvasgallery.ca.

3 comments:

  1. We love you Antony. So very proud to call you a Beloved Friend. xoxoxo, very blessed to have a piece of your art in our home.

    ReplyDelete

New Work by Antony Ellis

  With his explosive and thought provoking photographs, we are excited to welcome 5 new  Antony Ellis  pieces to the gallery!   537-081 Anto...