Sunday 19 April 2020

Celeste Keller Inspirations

To expand upon our Artist Studio ProjectCanvas Gallery asked Toronto artist Celeste Keller a few questions to find out what's been keeping her creativity flowing over the last few weeks during self-isolation. She shared her story along with beautiful photos so we could have a peek into her life & inspirations.


What is your window on the world these days …are you in your studio, or social distancing at home? 

My husband, Tim Malonie and I have lived and worked together for the past 15 years. Tim owns a concierge-style, renovation business. We’ve been living in our current home for the past 14 years and over the years, Tim has sculpted our property into a live/work haven. I have my painting studio and Tim has his workshop and music studio, so we have plenty of places to hide out when we get on each other’s nerves.Thankfully, my husband Tim does all the cooking. He’s a fantastic cook! He never follows a recipe and can always make a delicious meal with whatever we have in the fridge and/or in the pantry. He makes the best salsa and his sushi is amazing, too. 


What is your favourite view out of your window …. morning or night? 

Morning is my absolute favourite time of the day, each day presents a new beginning. I love the views into our backyard gardens, although they aren’t so pretty at this time of year.

We woke up to this guy in our tree yesterday morning…

What are you cooking/eating/baking …. loaded nachos? Chips? Cookies? …. or sourdough bread! 

Thankfully, my husband Tim does all the cooking. He’s a fantastic cook! He never follows a recipe and can always make a delicious meal with whatever we have in the fridge and/or in the pantry. He makes the best salsa and his sushi is amazing, too.


What are you drinking ….. lattes, tea….. a martini? 

Coffee is my go to drink. We buy green beans and roast them ourselves, which makes for a pretty amazing cup of coffee. 


What are you creating ….. drawings, sketch books, poems, sewing?

I’m continuing to work on my underwater, self portraits. I have so many photos to pull from and the quarantine time, although stressful, has relieved a lot of the regular daily stresses, opening up some creative breathing space. I’m still grounded in realism, but trying to think in more abstract ways.


What are you listening to ….. news? ugh….or jazz/pop?…. What's your go-to creative music? 

I’m limiting the amount of news I watch. I take in just enough to stay informed, but not too much to stay hidden away under the covers. I love the BBC’s Graham Norton Show and watch it  whenever I can. It’s so funny and mood enhancing. As for music, I’m completely in love with the album ‘Passages’ by Justin Rutledge. His remarkable talent is a great studio companion. I’m reading Twyla Tharp’s ‘The Creative Habit’. It’s a self-help book for the creatively challenged. I find it especially motivating during these unprecedented times where self-starting is essential to staying mentally and physically well. I highly recommend it.

Thank you Celeste for sharing your world & your beautiful paintings with us all.


To view available works by Celeste Keller, please visit www.canvasgallery.ca.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Work by Antony Ellis

  With his explosive and thought provoking photographs, we are excited to welcome 5 new  Antony Ellis  pieces to the gallery!   537-081 Anto...