Monday 4 May 2020

Shane Norrie Inspirations

To expand upon our Artist Studio ProjectCanvas Gallery asked Stratford, ON artist Shane Norrie a few questions to find out what's been keeping his creativity flowing during his time of self-isolation. He shared his story, along with some gorgeous photos of his artwork & surroundings so we could have a peek into his life & inspiration.


Canvas: What is your window on the world these days …are you in your studio, or social distancing at home?

Shane: I have not been going into my studio in Stratford to paint, and I don’t anticipate I will be for awhile. I recently bought & moved into a new house, so I have set up a makeshift painting area at my new home. I have been working on smaller pieces that have been inspired by exploring the pond across the street from my home as well as trails nearby.
Canvas: What is your favourite view out of your window …. morning or night?

Shane: My favourite view outside my window is the pond across the street in the morning. The leaves haven’t emerged yet on the trees around the pond, so I can see the water still. I also enjoy gardening very much in my spare time and looking at the garden progress out my ‘studio’ window. I am working in the new backyard, building raised vegetable beds and planting fruit trees and edible berry bushes. I am very much interested in Permaculture and have been trying to learn as much as possible lately.  I’m enjoying all of the wildlife that is visiting my back yard, and looking forward creating a more inviting habitat for them.

Canvas: What are you cooking/eating/baking …. loaded nachos? Chips? Cookies? …. or sourdough bread!

Shane: My partner enjoys cooking much more than I do, so I am grateful to enjoy whatever meals are prepared for us. 

Canvas: What are you drinking ….. lattes, tea….. a martini?

Shane: I’m definitely drinking way too much coffee these days. I should try to drink more tea but coffee seems to always be my guilty pleasure. 
Canvas: What are you creating ….. coffee drawings, sketch books, poems, sewing?

Shane: I am painting lots of smaller landscapes inspired by the natural areas very close to my home.  I have been anticipating spring and creating garden beds in my new back yard. I have been starting seedlings indoors and am preparing to spend more time outside in the near future. 

‘Trees are the answer.’ I’ve been thinking a lot about a conversation I had a few months ago about that subject, while finishing up these two small paintings this morning. That conversation resonates with me a lot lately. Plant trees, be surrounded by trees, paint trees.
Canvas: What are you listening to ….. news? ugh….or jazz/pop?…. What’s your go-to creative music?

Shane: I’ve been watching the news every day to keep in formed but it can become overwhelming at times.  I have been listening to my favourite art podcast; Talk Art, which I find very inspiring and uplifting.

Thank you for sharing with us Shane! We appreciate all of the beautiful work that you create as well as your process.

To view a full catalogue of Shane Norrie's available work, please visit www.canvasgallery.ca.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Work by Antony Ellis

  With his explosive and thought provoking photographs, we are excited to welcome 5 new  Antony Ellis  pieces to the gallery!   537-081 Anto...