Wednesday 6 May 2020

Heather Millar Inspirations

As a continuation of our Studio Project, we checked in on PEI artist Heather Millar to see what's been keeping her busy & inspired during her weeks of self isolation, including what she's been creating, cooking, and her window view. She replied along with some beautiful imagery of her art & life.


What is your window on the world these days …are you in your studio, or social distancing at home?

In the studio… which is conveniently in the house, our converted master bedroom, because who needs space to sleep?  My studio is my everything… art studio, music studio, sewing studio, exercise studio.  It’s really become a sanctuary for me.



What is your favourite view out of your window …. morning or night?

Definitely morning, and during the day.  We have a small ravine with a pond out back and the trees are right there. I get to listen and watch the birds and at the moment, our peepers have woken up, so I listen to them when it’s warm enough to have the windows open. Imagine a hundred gabbling geese… that’s the sound.  And the ever-present sound of the ocean.



What are you cooking/eating/baking …. loaded nachos? Chips? Cookies? …. or sourdough bread! 

I’ve been doing a little more baking, buns, breads, soups, sweets… basically whatever tickles my fancy.  I’ve been watching The Great British Baking Show and it’s got me all fired up, haha.  Currently we have ugly but delicious strawberry macrons and walnut/Nutella brownies in the fridge.  



What are you drinking ….. lattes, tea….. a martini?

Lots of tea and coffee, anything caffeinated.  I’ve been told 5 cups a day is too much.  Is it? Really??  This is the creative fuel. And I have to have it in my dino fossil mug.  


What are you creating ….. coffee drawings, sketch books, poems, sewing?

Currently working on a show of marine life, however, it may have to be postponed.  And just to switch gears, I’ve been doing smalls of songbirds, and a few little gifts. I’ve also been learning guitar for over a year, so in the evenings I try to dedicate time for practice. Apparently you can still learn new things even if you are middle aged.  




What are you listening to ….. news? ugh….or jazz/pop?…. What's your go-to creative music?

Definitely not news.  My dirty little secret is my love of classics.  Usually I pull up playlists, anything from crooners, old country, singer/songwriters from the 60’s-70’s, vocal jazz, oldies, you name it.



Thanks Heather! We love getting a chance to peek into your east coast life, as well as see all of your beautiful paintings in progress.

To view available works by Heather Millar, please visit www.canvasgallery.ca.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Work by Antony Ellis

  With his explosive and thought provoking photographs, we are excited to welcome 5 new  Antony Ellis  pieces to the gallery!   537-081 Anto...