Saturday 16 May 2020

Christian McLeod Inspirations

As a continuation of our Studio Project, we checked in on Toronto artist Christian McLeod to see what's been keeping him busy & inspired during his time in self-isolation, including what he's been creating, cooking, drinking, listening to and his window view. He replied with some great answers, as well as fantastic shots of his studio & life.


Thanks Canvas Gallery for this opportunity to share my experience during this surreal moment in time. Some things have been put on hold and yet so many other things have begun. The saying 'necessity is the mother of invention' should now be changed to 'necessity is the mother of intervention' so that we can all 'plank the curve'.

What is your window on the world these days …are you in your studio, or social distancing at home?

My studio practice continues, albeit at a slightly slower pace. Quite different from the days when I lived and worked in the same place. 

I find solace in my paintings and in my work during these difficult days. The creative inspiration is coming from ideas of home, gardens, stories that reflect our community lives within the urban architecture. 

 
What is your favourite view out of your window …. morning or night?

I've been working on visualizations of our urban lives both in the light of day and the cover of darkness in the night sky.  
The emotions and stories all around the world come to light as we quarantine, our lives in apartment buildings are not just cold, dry glass towers of anonymity. We live there. We make our homes beautiful and safe, and we bring life to the balconies and windows. Our lives now, more than ever before, are lived in dense urban communities. I want to show the beauty and life that is happening there.

What are you creating ….. coffee drawings, sketch books, poems, sewing?

I've been painting on paper mostly at home, in our small apartment away from the studio.
These works are exciting and fresh for me, fluid, playful and dreamy. I can't wait to show them to you.  I’ve then been taking these ideas to the larger canvases in the studio where I’m working on many new pieces. I’ve included a few images of new works and some of the studio stash.
These paintings offer an opportunity to travel through the layers of paint and the colours - an opportunity to escape into the work. Especially at a time when no one can physically travel.

What are you drinking ….. lattes, tea….. a martini?

Coffee in the morning and Manhattans or a Scotch in the evening. 

What are you listening to ….. news? ugh….or jazz/pop?…. What's your go-to creative music?

Mozart, Acid Pauli, Mose Allison, Fat Freddy's Drop.. I could go on and on. Lots and lots of music, at all times!
 

What are you cooking/eating/baking …. loaded nachos? Chips? Cookies? …. or sourdough bread!

My wife and I both absolutely love to cook. With us both at home now we’ve tried to focus on our specialties. She is a baker and I am savoury. Our issues of Cook's Illustrated magazine and our many cookbooks are in use every day. 
I’m also reading back issues of The New Yorker and have read three books so far, including Nicolas Dickner’s ‘Six Degrees of Freedom’.

Thanks Christian! We loved hearing your story, as well as getting a peek into your studio and fabulous new works in progress.

To view available works by Christian McLeod, please visit www.canvasgallery.ca.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Work by Antony Ellis

  With his explosive and thought provoking photographs, we are excited to welcome 5 new  Antony Ellis  pieces to the gallery!   537-081 Anto...