Thursday 21 May 2020

Sara Alex Mullen Inspirations

To expand upon our Artist Studio ProjectCanvas Gallery asked Ottawa artist Sara Alex Mullen a few questions to find out what's been keeping her creativity flowing over the past months of self-isolation, including what she's been making, cooking, drinking, watching, listening to and her view of the world. She shared her story along with some great phones & a time lapse video of her work in progress.


I've been home looking after my boys, ages 4 and 6 while my husband works from home. We love being home and are all enjoying the slower pace and quality time together. 


We're staying busy baking cookies, cooking soups, stews, BBQ, reading, drawing, playing Lego and such, boardgames (mostly lost cities, space base, and seven Wonders duel) and being active with bike rides, backyard soccer, and yoga at home (mostly that means that the kids are just climbing on top of me). I've been reading about a book every week or two, with my favourites being American dirt, every note played, and wild. I've also taken to sewing some stuffed animals, altering clothing, and organizing cupboards that has been on my to do list for years. We're watching shows like West world and Ozark while drinking craft beer. 


I'm lucky to have a studio in my home so can sneak in now and then and continue paintings in the evenings or weekends. Between commissions, I'm mostly continuing work on lake scenes, with big skies and reflections on water while also playing around with different subjects like florals, cactuses and gesture drawing. My favourite music to paint to is from the fleet Foxes, Lord Huron, paper kites, and first aid kit. 


Watch a beautiful time lapse video of Sara painting in her studio

Thanks Sara for sharing your story and lovely imagery.

To view a full catalogue of available works by Sara Alex Mullen, please visit www.canvasgallery.ca.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Work by Antony Ellis

  With his explosive and thought provoking photographs, we are excited to welcome 5 new  Antony Ellis  pieces to the gallery!   537-081 Anto...