Sunday 31 May 2020

Gina Sarro Inspirations

To expand upon our Artist Studio ProjectCanvas Gallery asked Vancouver artist Gina Sarro a few questions to find out what's been keeping her creativity flowing over her time in self-isolation, including what she's been making, cooking, drinking, reading, listening to and her view of the world. She shared her story along with some beautiful photos of her studio & life.
"With school coming to a close a little early this year, and my kids back home from University, I am enjoying time with them and our new German Shepard puppy. We are keeping active walking the beaches of Vancouver and the trails in Pacific Spirit Park. There is such a variation of inspiration in the landscape, with one outing offering wide open endless views across the water towards Vancouver island, contrasting with the walk in the shaded forest, where we are enveloped in greenery and endless tree trunks reaching for a glimpse of sky that sparkles through.
 
With social distancing, we are also spending a lot more time in our homes. Spring in Vancouver brings a view of a large cherry tree in bloom outside my living room window. The streets are filled with the snow from the pink and white blooms as the rain and wind start to blow them away allowing the trees to begin unfolding their leaves. 
I have always enjoyed a home studio, which has allowed me the opportunity to work whenever I feel inspired or at any hour of the day, and it definitely has come in handy during social distancing.  I have found myself however, stepping back from my studio to spend quality time with my family. I have so many ideas to put onto the canvas and I know that since my studio work table is now cleared of tax paperwork, it will be a little more enticing to get back at squeezing out some paint.
 
With social distancing, time spent in the home means a little more doing over-haul cleaning, purging and organizing. In the kitchen it means looking for simple Ketogenic recipes to explore and get creative with, and it’s nice to have the kids around to help out!

I usually listen to audio books while painting; I started “Atomic Habits’ by James Clear, and I’m looking forward to picking it up again when I head back into the studio. There is also classic rock playing in the studio offering high energy music to get into the painting zone. 
 
Back in in the 80’s, I completed a degree in Economics and Political Science, so I like to keep up on international politics and what’s happening with the economy in these unprecedented times. It gets a little overwhelming, so I am trying to limit time watching the news and then just catch the highlights of the day online before bed. 

These times are really dictating a new normal for all of us, and I hope that we all find a positive way to move forward, stay safe and enjoy all the little moments with loved ones."

Thanks Gina for giving us a peek into your beautiful west coast world & your stunning paintings.

To view available works by Gina Sarro, please visit www.canvasgallery.ca.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Work by Antony Ellis

  With his explosive and thought provoking photographs, we are excited to welcome 5 new  Antony Ellis  pieces to the gallery!   537-081 Anto...