Monday 1 June 2020

Barbara Shore Inspirations

As a continuation of our Studio Project, we checked in on Alberta artist Barbara Shore to see what's been keeping her busy & inspired during her time in self isolation, including what she's been creating, cooking, and her view of the world. She replied with a great update along with some photos of her art & life.
After experiencing a five week retirement trip in February, constantly hand washing, sanitizing, and wearing a mask my husband and I were relieved to come home, even if the virus had arrived on our shores. Little did we know or realize how quickly the virus would take hold in Canada. I am proud to be Canadian, proud of our federal and provincial governments, our health advisors from all levels, the front line workers for their commitment in the face of uncertain dangers, and to the people of this country for toeing the line to help each other in hopes of overcoming the virus.
We have spent many hours with an online app visiting with our kids, grandkids, extended family and many friends.(all of whom we have not seen since January as we were away for 5 weeks). Virtual chats over cocktails and appies have been fun and entertaining as well as necessary. It allows us to connect and to discuss our thoughts and express our love. We share our views on the current crisis but it is also a distraction from the constant barrage of “news”.
 I am fortunate enough to have a view that offers quiet contemplation. Moose, deer, coyotes sometimes bless us with their peaceful presence. This view rejuvenates my soul. A late spring in Alberta has us dealing with snow and cooler temperatures. There is hope though, as the geese are flying north, snow is melting from the heat of the sun and yesterday it “rained” !
I am back to drinking copious amounts of coffee during the day. We brought back a two pound bag of coffee from Vietnam, a gift from a friend we made in Hanoi. I do make it every now and then. I revel in the sweet, chocolate, nutty flavour which brings back not only the great memories of our trip but also of the totally different world of a few months ago.
I’ve been in the studio. An idea with a fellow artist was to create a quarantine painting a day. We soon came to realize that it was a difficult task to complete due to the distress and emotion of this disturbing event taking place in our lives. It has become a “paint when you can, do what you can” project.  I have produced about 6 paintings and have also spent time in my sketchbook. The subject has been mostly self portraits although sketches from our travels have started to emerge. I have also been sewing masks for family. I have my mothers sewing machine. It took me a whole day and then a YouTube the following day before I figured out how to use it. I have made the masks from quilting squares and have had fun mixing patterns and colours. I found the exercise to be distracting and meditative.
Listening to the news on a daily basis has been limited to once or twice a day at the most. Podcasts are entertaining while working. And music. Lots of music. A variety of music. The old familiar contrasted with an eclectic collection from the newer Billie Ellish, energy inducing AWOL Nation to get the blood pumping, Sean Pinchin a great Canadian blues musician to Max Richter.  So many different choices for so many different moods!
Some sketchbook daily drawings
I, like everyone in the world today, it is my hope that we will return to normal again soon, whatever that new normal will be. I hope that the love and nurturing we have found in this social distancing, stay at home isolation will carry forward and forever be a part of our lives. 
534-013 | Barbara ShoreReverie, mixed media on panel, 36"x24". $1500
Thank you Barbara for the thoughtful update and as well as sharing your beautiful images, art & life.

To view available works by Barbara Shore as well as our other artists, please visit www.canvasgallery.ca.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Work by Antony Ellis

  With his explosive and thought provoking photographs, we are excited to welcome 5 new  Antony Ellis  pieces to the gallery!   537-081 Anto...