Monday 29 June 2020

Eryn O'Neill Inspirations

To expand upon our Artist Studio Project, we asked Ottawa artist Eryn O'Neill a few questions to find out what's been keeping her creativity flowing over her time in self-isolation, including what she's been making, cooking, drinking, reading, listening to and her view of the world. She shared her story along with some beautiful photos of her studio & life.
With the complete shift in the way things are operating I must admit it has been taking me a long time to get my feet back under me. I have been faced with cancellations, lost income, loss of follow-up for sales, and the most challenging...momentum.
As a full time artist, I have been self-employed and working towards making a sustainable career at what I do best: painting! While this comes with its fair share of difficulties and barriers on a good day, with the global pandemic, it felt like the rug was pulled out from underneath my feet. I live in Ottawa, a relatively recent move from Waterloo Ontario where I completed my Masters in Fine Art in 2018. I obtained an amazing studio space in the Byward Market in October 2019, and have been working on applying for shows, grants and keeping up my practice.

I want to share my “new normal” with you, and I know many can relate, and are in the same boat. 
When I am able to get to my studio, my view is the side of the Saint Brigid’s Church and a normally busy intersection. My studio building is a stunning old Rectory House (aptly named the Rectory Art House). I am, and always have been a day-time worker. I may do admin work from home in the evening, but I prefer to paint during the waking hours.
I am also able to do some of my writing from my newly created “home-office” space (with my feline co-worker, Shakespeare!). I have always maintained a separation of studio and home, however, when it comes to research and writing I will often go to coffee shops (not an option right now), or stay home. Leaving the studio space dedicated more towards purely painting.
 I haven’t changed too much in regards to my practice, still using photo sources and creating paintings inspired by the urban landscapes and architecture that I can access as a pedestrian. But I must admit, I have limited the places I go, so that is having an affect on getting new imagery. But not an issue yet! 

As for my daily routines and habits, I am coffee drinker for sure, bringing one to the studio in my handy travel mug, where it sits on one of my carts next to my easel, readily available. After work, I enjoy a beer (Ottawa is great for local Craft Beer options!) or a glass of wine, ideally outside soon. Music is usually playing in the studio, or I’ll work with nothing on, depending on the day. 
To sum up, I am deeply affected as a creative person, my sense of momentum is shaken and I am working to keep creating new work and keeping my mind busy. I have a good support network and value the connections I have made over the years in this career. 

Stay Safe and thank you Canvas for reaching out.
480-042 | Eryn O'Neill, Passageway, oil on canvas, 24"x48". $1200
Thank you Eryn for sharing your story, struggles & studio shots. We wish you all the best with your beautiful painting as well as your writing.

To view available works by Eryn O'Neill, please visit www.canvasgallery.ca.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Work by Antony Ellis

  With his explosive and thought provoking photographs, we are excited to welcome 5 new  Antony Ellis  pieces to the gallery!   537-081 Anto...